Monday, July 14, 2008

The Background

On Saturday my family was walking around downtown Portland after going to a movie at Pioneer Place for my brother's birthday... the movie got out around ten o'clock, and as we were walking back to our Suburban in the parking garage, we observed many different people. People who looked as if they had no hope. People who looked lost. People for whom I wrote those thoughts in my previous post.
We are called, by Jesus, to share the Good News with those we encounter, but as I was taking in every sad face and rebellious spirit that evening, I truly wondered HOW anyone was to go about doing that most effectively. I realize that quite often we lack courage to speak up because we fear rejection and rationalize that, "Actions speak louder than words," and those people on the streets have not seen our actions... but WHEN? HOW? WHO? Will anyone reach those people?
The thoughts of my quiet time earlier in the week also rushed into my head that evening... I have been reading in 2 Samuel. David wanted to do it all. In addition to all the battles He fought in the name of the Lord, he also wanted to build God's dwelling place, the temple. God said no. The lesson: we can not do it all for the Lord. All He asks is that we do what He has called us to do.
I can not say that I have been called to reach out to the homeless people of Portland, but my heart still aches for them. I can pray. I can ask for the Lord to put the calling into someone else's heart, can't I?
Oh Lord, I will have faith in your perfect plan.

No comments: